Raveon’s data radio products are well-suited for wireless SCADA and telemetry. Wireless SCADA systems are common for telemetry, remote control, and power grid management. VHF and UHF radio frequencies over very long range communication ability, and with the fastest transmit / receive hundreds of thousands of meters and may be polled or report-in every day on a single radio channel.
Wireless SCADA and Telemetry use radio modems to connect The Master Controller to the Slave Device.
Keep efficient and save costs, and make easier to install and update. A wireless modem with built-in Slave Device such as Raveon’s RV-M21 Tech Series telemetry modems can do.
The RV-M21 RTU with the GPIO interface:
A M21 smart radio modem is a innovative Wireless Remote Terminal Unit (RTU)
The M21 combine the functions of an RTU with a built-in data radio rodem to provide a cost-effective and powerful solution for various industries.
The M21 is available with 1-5 watts RF output in VHF, UHF and 220MHz bands.
The General Purpose IO (GPIO) pins can be controlled with MODBUS commands.
GPIO pin are configurable as Digital input or outputs, Switched open drain outputs do enable relays, or Switched DC power output to drive, lights, relays, valves, or any DC powered item.
For License Free RF band use, the RV-M22 is a license free 900MHz RTU or serial data transceiver.
The communication range is typically 1-10 miles, or 20 miles in open areas.
The RV-M21 utilizes the Tech Series front panel. There is a myriad of IO options on these pannels, and some panes can be used as Remote Terminal Units. For wireless SCADA and wireless RTUs, order the RV-M21 with the GPIO interface or the Flexible IO (FIO) interface.
Raveon’s Unique Features for Wireless SCADA
- Easy to use. Plug-in, Turn-on, and GO. Transmit data in = Receive data out.
- Remote status monitoring including DC voltage, packet error statistics, modem “up time”, and receiver signal strength.
- GPIO (General Purpose IO) interface options to have the radio modem be your RTU.
- RS-232 serial interface on all M7 radios. RS232 is standard, and RS422 and 485 options are available. To learn more about serial comm, read AN236(SerialComm)
- Low Cost. Raveon’s M7 series of wireless data modems are the most economical data radio modems on the market.
- Remote “PING” From any M7 modem, a user may send a “PING” to any other M7 data radio modem to find out the link signal strength. This allows quick diagnostics, easy antenna alignment, and reduced site visits.
- Wide input voltage with high-efficiency switching voltage regulators.
- Capable of store-and-forward repeating operation. Any M21, M8, M7, M6 radio modem may be configured as a store and forward repeater.
- Small size. Extruded aluminum enclosure is small, and very rugged.
- RS-232 serial input and output. Programmable serial baud rates up to 115400 make Raveon radio modems compatible with most every PLC, PC, and HMI device made.
- Programmable over-the-air data rates. You can choose how your system will work. Set the OTA data slower for extended communication range, or set it fast for lowest latency. Your choice.
- MODBUS messaging. The GPIO and FIO interface IO pins can controlled with MODBUS RTU messages.
M7s Series Wireless Modems
Ideal for SCADA and Telemetry applications. M7 radio modems have many features for telemetry systems: 1/2-5 watts of RF output for private radio networks in the 150-174MHz, or 450-480MHz bands (other bands available).
A communication range of 5-60 miles, fast T-R switching time, store-and-forward repeater capability, AES data encryption, and RS232/422/485 interfaces available.
Perfect modems for SCADA, remote control, telemetry, mobile-data, MODBUS RTU communications, and AVL applications. More Info…
RV-M21 Tech Series Telemetry modems with Slaves
The Tech Series modems comes with multiple front interface options. User for serial data communications, or wireless SCADA and telemetry RTU.
Telemetry Slave options with the GPIO and FIO interface. Reliable secure wireless data modems in VHF, UHF, and ISM bands. Send receive raw data, or utilize MODBUS or WMX messaging to control and monitor remote devices.
The Tech Series radio modems are the most flexible RF modem architecture on the planet. They have a myriad of IO options:
- RS-232 UART Serial. Any baud rate you want to use.
- RS-422 UART 2-wire Serial. Any baud rate you want to use.
- RS-485 UART 2 or 4 wire serial. Any baud rate you want to use.
- USB to plug into a PC.
- GPIO General Purpose IO (Digital IO, Analog input, voltage reading, Switched DC out)
- Analog Analog radio for voice communications.
- FIO Flexible IO with configurable digital inputs and outputs.
For many SCADA systems, the radio modem can be used to communicate with the remote terminal units in very remote areas. These radio modems are very long range, reliable, and secure.
RV-M8 OEM modem module
The RV-M8 is an OEM radio modem module used to communicate over many miles. 1.2 to 5W RF output power, with communication range 5-60 miles (VHF) and 3-40 miles (UHF).
Use this module to manage your things like valves, pumps, relays, and lights. Read the status of them or input switches or input voltages.
Available in VHF, 220MHz, and UHF RF bands.
We will work with your team to make sure this product works perfectly with your system.
Miniature Long Range Radio Modem
Raveon’s M6 data radio modem is a miniature ultra-low-cost radio modem for use in your products.
It is available in various bands: VHF, UHF, MURS, and 915MHz License Free ISM
It is easy to embed inside your products to communicate for many miles.
The M6 in VHF and UHF bands can communicate for 1-30 miles, depending upon the terrain. The ISM band version utilized LoRa long range RF technology, and can reliably communicate 1-20 miles.
The M6 OEM module can be used for:
- Sending and receiving UART serial data.
- GPS tracking and data comm.
- Processing MODBUS messages and controlling IOs.
- Reading meters, controlling valves, controlling pumps and lights, reading sensors, transmitting switch status,
- Measuring angle and vibration with its built-in accelerator.
- Raveon is always willing to add communication protocols or messages to OEM modems to make them work perfectly with your system, and save you money.
Raveon has a free open-source software app for testing and working with SCADA, Telemetry, and MODBUS products. It is called SCADA Comm User (SCU)
This SCU program is designed and built for experimenting and testing MODBUS devices such as Raveon’s Tech Series GPIO and FIO wireless RTUs. If you would like to work with the source code, it is open to Raveon’s SCADA users, so please contact Raveon sales department.
The GPIO connector on the product is a Phoenix Contact 1829387 DFK-MC type connector.
Wireless technologies is a cost-effective way to provide remote and localized control and transfer of live and historical data. Implementing a wireless infrastructure is beneficial to new production sites. It drastically reduces installation cost and time, reduce permit costs, and eliminates wiring, trenching, and running conduit. It minimizes wire failure due to degradation and other environmental factors.