A Remote Autonomous Zone Node (RAZN) is for smart SCADA and Telemetry node with general purpose control capability in a compact, cost-effective package. RAZN can switch on/off 8 AC and DC power outputs, and convert up to four analog devices, 8 digital inputs, and 2 switch inputs, into: EtherNet/IP or Modbus-TCP. This is a RTU and has many more IoT and wireless features than most traditional RTUs.
Reduce your system cost by using Remote Autonomous Notes With Wireless modems built in.
Switched AC and DC power connections and Flexible IOs
User Wires (Ethernet, RS485, USB) or use Wireless (ISM, LoRa, UHF, VHF)
Optically Isolated switched power outputs and reverse power protected.
Its Autonomous operation makes it work great over time as needed, without the need to connect to the internet or other networks.
Flexible Input/Output Options: Digital, Switching AC or DC Power, Voltage, Current, buttons,…
The RAZN is a Remote Terminal Unit (RTU) used to monitor and control a variety of devices and systems. An RTU is similar to a programmable logic circuit (PLC) but has more in-depth functionality. A key component of a the RAZN is the ability to send and receive real-time data.
The TOAA Timer/Operation/Autonomous/Action/ feature lets you setup the RAZN to do what you want it to do automatically.
Set 1-16 Timers: To trigger an specific Operation event.
Setup 1-16 Operations: To do, such as read digital inputs, read buttons, read voltages, check register values, read temperature, or dozens of other operations. If the operation triggers an Action, it will take an Action.
Setup 1-16 Actions: To do if the operation triggered an alert. Put out a voltage, send a message, turn on an light, turn on a valve, beep a siren, send a text message, send a SCADA alert, of dozens of other actions.
At the end of the Action time duration you choose a Final Action takes place if you want. Turn off the light, turn off the valve, turn off the sirent, or whatever final action you desire.
The RAZN also does many other Autonomous things:
- Count the number of changes in an input (digital in, button, light sensor,..)
- Record the time a digital input, or button, or sensor, goes up to a 1 or down to a 0.
- Record the maximum value in some registers that measure voltages, pulses/second, pulses/minute, pulses/hour.
- Change an output based upon the status of some inputs, such as voltages, pulses, digial bits, buttons, …
- Periodically send the status of some inputs, registers, or sensors.
RAZN IO Features
The Remote Autonomous Zone Node (RAZN) has many IO options. At the left is the standard RV-N55-1 version IO Interfaces.
Use the RAZN to turn things on and off such as: Lights, valves, pumps, fans, door-locks.
The RV-N55-1 IO Interfaces
Terminal A (Switched Power DC or AC)
- 8 Switched Power output pins controlled by the RZN and commands from you.
- One Power input pin. Put your AC or DC into this pin.
- Three Power ground pins. Use this for your system ground. It is optically isolated from the RZN’s electronics.
Terminal B (Has many General Purpose IOs) IO Pins are configurable as needed.
- 2 Button Inputs to connect a button or a switch to.
- 4 Analog voltage inputs to measure voltages.
- 2 Analog current inputs to measure 4-20mA current signals.
- 4 Digital Inputs to monitor TTL digital signals.
- 4 Digital outputs to output TTL data.
- 1 Open drain FET output to switch relays, lights, to ground to turn on.
- 1 Ground pin, 1 TTL power output.
- 1 DC Switched Power output to pass the DC input voltage out.
Simplified SCADA for Less Complex Applications
This simplified RTU communicates with your control center as quickly as you need to know about the status of things connected to it. The sooner you get the information, the faster you can fix the problem and avoid negative consequences.
The Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) features of this simple smart device offers opportunities to enhance your operations across manufacturing, energy, agriculture, transportation, water utilities and other critical infrastructure sectors of the economy. It improves the way you collect, analyze and share real-time information to help your organization make better decisions. The RAZN enables machines and equipment to resolve potential failures before they become a catastrophe. It allows remote objects in remote zones to operate autonomously while being monitored by personnel from remote locations or locally.
With this easy-to-deploy IIoT solution, you can monitor and control your system with RAZNs from anywhere. And The Remote Zone Node’s smart wireless interfaces enable you to monitor and control thousands of things using one Ethernet connection or one cellular connection, or a Wireless data connections, to greatly reduce your connectivity costs. Your SCADA master controller can control the RAZN and read the RAZN inputs, and the extra autonomous features can autonomously do what you want it to do, and your master can connect to the RAZN and verify it is doing what it needs to do. And if the connection fails, cellular fails, the Internet gets shut down, those Autonomous features keep working as you want them to do.
- Interoperable using a Variety of Communication Media and Systems and Its own communications expansion features.
- Real-Time Processing with Real Time Clock for Complex Control and Automation Applications.
- Easy to Configure, Install and Maintain.
- Robust Communication with a myriad of interface options: Ethernet, USB, RS-422, LoRa, Long-range narrow-band wireless
- This Smart Device can “Relay Messages” to hundreds of RZNs to create a local network covering many miles with just one external connection.
- Can be configured to automatically report status or IO error threshold events.
- If the connection fails, cellular fails, the network fails, or the Internet gets shut down, the Autonomous features within the RAZN keep working as you want them to do.
- MODBUS Protocol Support for More Efficient Data Communication over Narrow-band or Broad-band
- Green and efficient Performance along with Low-Power and Sleep Modes.
- SMART ARM processor with optimized OS dedicated to SCADA, security, and data communications.
- The communication capability is designed to specifically support secure communications over diverse networks.
- Polarity and Voltage Protected. Over voltage and reverse voltage does not breakdown the unit. ESD protected interfaces.
- Internal battery backed-up Real Time Clock. Used to report event times and control outputs at specified times and duration.
Things to use RAZN to do
- Control DC powered lights. Switch lights that need up to 30-40watts.
- Meteorological Instrument Functions to measure weather.
- Control AC powered lights if the low-voltage AC is within spec. Of switch an external AC power relay on and off.
- Connect buttons to the SW pins to detect switches and report switch condition.
- Smart Cities can use the RZN to control the things in the city they need to smartly manage.
- To connect things to internet cloud servers or your private servers, the Ethernet or wireless connections can pass the status of switches and sensors to your servers.
- Control valves and pumps. Turn on and off irrigation devices us DC or AC power supplies.
- Monitor water sensors, and report their status and report emergency information.
- Monitor analog sensors such as temperature, pressure, current, voltage,… connect them to the Analog inputs
- Adhere to Government regulations for safety and metering of gas (for royalties & tax etc)
Use the Remote Autonomous Zone Node (RAZN) to control your devices with Ethernet connectivity or Long range wireless.
The RAZN can control and also relay messages onward to very remote areas with more RZNs in them.
Efficiently Control Nodes All Around a CITY, STATE, or COUNTRY.
Smart and High Performance
Designed in 2018, the ARM processor is much higher performance and lower power than RTUs design 10 years ago. CPU processing power provides accurate data analysis and communication for the most critical, and demanding SCADA applications to ensure optimal operation.
The RZN is designed to use a variety of digital, analog, and switched power interfaces so you are never locked into proprietary solutions. The flexible communications capability enables the RZN to connect with hundreds of local devices, analyze the data, and send that status information to various other locations. Data transmission and processing is supported simultaneously across multiple communication media and industry standard data protocols including MODBUS.
Real-Time Process Automation And Robust Communication
The RZN’s General Purpose IOs (GPIOs) can be sedup in any way you want. Each GPIO has many configuration options.
- Digital Inputs
- Digital outputs
- Open drain switch output
- Voltage monitoring
- 4-20mA input to measure current
- Push-button digital inputs.
The RZN also has switched power capability to pass on DC or AC power to many different products, valves, relays, lights,…
The communication is the most robust in the industry. With some many interface options, it will work with anything, and because it is a smart Remote Terminal Unit, it also can pass on messages to other devices in the area using RS-422, Ethernet, LoRa or long-range narrow-band wireless modems. All of these features can in included int he RZN model you acquire for your system.
Architecture of the RZN Systems
It is not uncommon for a PLC like this RZN to utilize external programming, commands, or script writing to perform its role.
There are many ways to utilize this Remote Zone Node (RZN) to monitor and control things:
- IoT Use a Master Controller to read, write, and control the RZN via Internet, or your network.
- Wireless Use 2 separate Raveon data radio modems to communicate over hundreds of square miles.
- Wireless Use Raveon data radio modem to communicate over hundreds of square miles to a RZN with a built-in data radio modem.
- Autonomous Setup the RZN to do what you need it to do, monitor, control, and manage as a smart Remote Terminal Unit (RTU). No need for connection, but you can if you want.
Industries this Remove Terminal Server is good for
Smart Cities: Light control, measure remote sensors and switches, monitor pipes, pressure, temperature, traffic, …
Farms: Control your remote lights, pumps, valves, water tanks,…
Universities: Monitor emergency buttons, Have buttons you need, Control your remote lights, pumps, valves, water tanks,…
Places with grass and plants: Control pumps and valves. Monitor water flow. Automatically time your systems.
Big Buildings: Monitor doors open or closed, temperatures in rooms and refrigerators, monitor water leakage,…
Timer Operations Actions and Alerts (TOAA)
How the TOAA Timer Works. Timer Operation Actions can be setup in any way you would like.
The TOAA smart timer technology in the RXN can be used to:
On a specific time of day, turn on specific outputs to control light, valves, pumps, doors, …
- The TOAA Timer in the RZN that triggers time can be set to:
- When the Timer triggers, you specify the Operation this Remote Zone Node (RZN) should perform. The Operation is setup to read inputs, and registers, which for you can read.
- When the Operation reads what you want, it will trigger an Action based on your desires. If the Operation reading did not cause an Alert, then nothing else will happen.
- If the Operation caused an Action to take place, the actin that takes place is setup by you. The RZN can perform many different Actions.
- The Final Action is the action that will take place at the end of the duration of the TOAA Timer.
Remote Zone Node Features
- Wired or Wireless Connection to your network.
- RF Frequency Bands: UHF, VHF, MURS, ISM, LoRa
- Interface: RS485, Ethernet 10/100, USB (or change to WiFi)
- Output power is 0.5W to 5 Watts
- Commutations can be secured and encrypted.
- It has 8 Optically Isolated relays, 8 General Purpose IOs.
- Input DC 12~30V Over voltage and reverse voltage protected.
- LED status displays.
Connecting a Remote Node in a Remote Area
In Remote Areas, have one, dozens, or thousands of Nodes communicating through one connection.
Connection Methods Available with the RZN
Link one Remote Zone Node (RZN) to your Master Controller any way you want.
- Wired Ethernet connection.
- USB link to a PC or smart device.
- Wireless ISM band (license free) using LoRa technology
- Wireless VHF narrow-band data radio.
- Wireless UHF narrow band data radio.
- Wired RS485 serial interface.
All of these options are available within the RZN. Choose the one you want.
The data encryption feature may be enabled on wireless communication. When secure data is enabled, the product will encrypt transmissions using AES128 encryption.
Setup Remote Networks with the RZN
A RZN can communicate with many other RZNz and pass along data to them or get data from them.
Your system can connect to one RZN, and it will work with as many others as needed.
And for even larger systems, use a Cigorn Gateway to route data to-from multiple Telemetry Networks.
As seen on the left, the gateway can communicate with 1 or hundreds of RZNs.
One RZN can manage a complete local network of many RZNs or GPIO radios in a Remote Zone Network.
The Cigorn Gateway can talk to even thousands of RZNs so you can have thousands of Remote Zone Networks
Autonomous Smart IO Management
This RZN is smart and can AUTONOMOUSLY manage the IO pins itself. You can use a master controller or HMI device to control the IOs or setup the RZN to manage the IOs itself. The RZN has more IO management features than any other RTU in the industry. There are commands within the RZN to setup all these features to just run in a remote are with no network connection, if you want to have it just autonomously read inputs and manage outputs based upon the inputs and time and date.
Here is a list of the features. You can choose and setup an Feature ID and Threshold Value (TV). When a Feature measures something you want, it will Control State of an Output Pin (CSOP) as you want it to do. When it Controls the State and Output Pin (CSOP), it can turn on or off a switched DC output, switched AC output, a digital output state, or turn on or off an Open Drain output.
‘A’ Angle of the unit. If the physical angle (X, Y, or Z) angle of the unit goes beyond the TV it will do the CSOP.
‘B’ Raw Input Binary Event If a digital input (TTL, button…) got into a mode you choose (0 or 1, On or Off), then it will do the CSOP.
‘C’ 4-20mA Input Current If a the input current on a 4-20mA input sensor goes beyond the TV it will do the CSOP.
‘D’ DC input or Battery If a internal power voltage goes above or below the TV it will do the CSOP in the way you want.
‘P’ Pulse Ticking Event If a digital input (TTL, button…) pulsed on/off more times per second or minute that you want, it will do the CSOP in the way you want.
‘R’ Pulse Ticking Event If a internal vibration sensor pulsed on/off more times per second or minute that you want, it will do the CSOP in the way you want.
‘T’ Product Temperature If the RZN’s temperature sensor goes above or below the TV it will do the CSOP in the way you want.
‘#’ Internal Register Value If the internal register value within the RZN voltage goes above or below the TV it will do the CSOP in the way you want.
The Benefits of Autonomous Data Monitoring and Control
Fast finding critical data
The RZN reads inputs, status, sensors, timers, and clocks in real-time.
The RZN can use the information, and control outputs based on inputs, status, sensors, timers, and clocks in real-time.
Output are immediately controlled. Very quick and reliable.
Even if a network is broke, Internet was hacked, a server died, or Cell Tower Failed, Autonomous features keep working perfect.
Inputs, Outputs, and Switches
Power Control, (Switched Voltage)
The RZN has 8 switched power outputs connections.You can also provide the input power that will be switched.
DC input 2 – 30 volts DC. AC input 2 – 32V AC.
The 8 outputs will switch as configured and controlled by the commands. One open Collector switched output pin. LEDs on the RZN show switch status on or off.
Besides the Switched Voltage, there are additional Flexible IOs such as
- 4 Digital inputs. TTL for binary inputs.
- 4 Digital outputs. TTL binary output bits.
- 2 Analog input. 0-6V, 4-20mA option.
- 2 Analog inputs, 0-6V.
- 2 robust Switch sensors. Switch Grounds.
- 1 DC power out, same as in, switchable.
- Digital DC voltage output, 5V, or 3.3V.
Meteorological Instrument Functions
External temperature sensors can be connect to analog inputs. Meteorological sensors utilize analog inputs.
Rain gauge connects to digital input. Wind speed connect to digital inputs, status, frequency, duration can be read remotely. Wind direction anemometer connects to analog input. The Analog to Digital converter (ADC) input voltage is 0-50V, and input impedance is 10k-20k Ω. ADC accuracy 0.1 to 2.5%
If you need some other voltage range, accuracy, or special interface, we will be glad to work with you to make a version to meet your needs.
Methods to Control the Switched Voltage Outputs
The RZN makes remote automation and monitoring of your complex processes robust and cohesive by connecting across a variety of communication methods and data protocols.
- Send Commands via Ethernet, Serial port, USB port, or Wireless network
- Turn on and turn off commands.
- Reset to defaults if the power is cycled.
- Internal timers and counters setup to manage Outputs
- Turn off after XX milliseconds.
- Turn on for XX milliseconds
- Command protocols (Contact sales to incorporate you protocol).